Miss Whis: New Year, New You..?
What does that 10 second countdown mean to you? The sparkly hats, the champagne popping, the kiss at midnight? Is it the end of one thing and the beginning of something else? Or perhaps it’s just an excuse to leave the past behind and make a run for the future. Whatever New Years means to you, it can’t be bad that we’re encouraged to make resolutions about how we aim to live our next 365 days. In all honesty, these self imposed pacts should be made wherever and whenever the urge occurs, at any point during the year, but if it helps to have millions of others doing the same thing as you, at the same time, then so be it.
According to The Independent, the Top 10 most common New Years Resolutions for 2013 were:
1. Save more money
2. Get out of debt
3. Get fit/lose weight
4. Change job/career
5. Quite smoking
6. Give up alcohol
7. Spend less time working
8. Spend more time with family/friends
9. Give up chocolate
10. Move house
Living in Whistler puts a different perspective on these resolutions. Perhaps it’s the beautiful environment we live in, the relatively laid back work situations we enjoy, the constant fresh air and the adventurous nature of the inhabitants, but Whistler’s resolutions speak volumes about how awesome this place truly is.
A small snippet of 2013 New Years Resolutions from the mouths of Whistler based babes:
- Eddie Hicks: Not change a thing.
- Lyz Desjardins: Photobomb as many tourist pictures as possible! It’s a great challenge.
- Brando Hitchon: To get married to the coolest person I know!
- Jesse Millen: Slow down, appreciate, and make the most out of every day. Very cliche but times are changing and can’t let life pass you by.
- Ben Wilcox: I am having too much fun today to think about tomorrow.
- Laura Briggs: To be irresponsible with money… and get fat. I’m pretty sure thats the recipe to happiness… or at least a really good year.
- Nick Campbell: My buddy Carno has cut out plastic bottles altogether; laundry detergent, dish soap are hard to find though. Ketchup is classier in glass bottles anyway, so that one was easy.
- Mike Nixon: No more heroin. I’m making resolutions to quit things I never started in the first place. Very good for my self esteem.
- Jeff Schmuck: My New Years Resolution is the same every year…to not have a New Years Resolution. Because that way I won’t feel bad about myself when I don’t keep it, and will be able to party guilt-free on December 31st!
- Quentin Royale: Live to ride, ride to live.
- Penelope Buswell: To learn to ski!
Happy New Year everyone, and may your resolutions ring true all year long!