Bull’s Eye Canadian National BBQ Championships August Long Weekend
The Bull’s-Eye Canadian National BBQ Championships return to Whistler for the 11th year in a row, adding a little extra sizzle to the August long weekend. From August 3 through 5, BBQ chefs from all over North America will compete for the honour of “Canadian Champion.” Up for grabs is $5,000 in cash and prizes, and an invitation to the World Championship Invitational Barbecue in Tennessee and World Barbecue Championships in Las Vegas, Nevada. For spectators at this year’s competition at Dusty’s Bar & BBQ in Creekside there are plenty of things to see, do, and taste.
“The BBQ Championships is a ‘must experience’ event for meat lovers,” said Joshua Kearns, Dusty’s Bar & BBQ Manager at Whistler Blackcomb. “With great music, a mechanical bull, and mouthwatering food and drink, it’s a great way to spend the B.C. Day long weekend.”
New this year, on Saturday and Sunday, guests can purchase one dollar tokens to participate in activities such as the mechanical bull ride or a BBQ food sampler (while quantities last). There will also be hourly prize draws.
Friday, August 3: Festivities Kick-Off
- 4 p.m. BBQ Judging Class takes place. This course is taught by judges of the Pacific Northwest BBQ Association and educates “wanna-be” judges on how to rate the food that is served over the weekend.
- 9 p.m. Dusty’s presents Whole Lotta Led, a Led Zeppelin tribute band. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door.
Saturday, August 4: Local’s BBQ Day
12 p.m. – 5 p.m. local rock band Ruckus Deluxe will be entertaining the crowd.
Amateur BBQ aficionados compete for a chance to win over $2,000 in cash and prizes, split among the winners of the days’ events.
- 1 p.m. the Backyard BBQ Burger Competition presented by Bull’s-Eye BBQ Sauce takes place. The winning burger earns the honour of being featured on Dusty’s Bar & BBQ menu for a year.
- 2 p.m. the C.A.S.I International Chili Championships.
- 3 p.m. the Budweiser King of the Grill competition takes place and requires contestants to submit their best grilled or smoked item cooked on-site to the judges. Each dish must consist of a meat or vegetable or combination of the two. Registration for the King of the Grill, Chili Championships and Burger Competition is open to the public and can be done online.
7 p.m. is the mouthwatering Whole Hog BBQ Dinner. In addition to pork, the dinner includes: baked beans, tossed greens, and Dusty’s famous buns and butt rub mayo. Tickets are $20 and available on site.
9 p.m. the day will be rounded out by music from The Matinée. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at Dusty’s.
Sunday August 5: The Main Event
Professional BBQ chefs will battle it out for the title of ‘Canadian Champion” in five categories:
- 11 a.m. Pork Butt judging
- 11:30 a.m. Ravenswood Cork & Pork judging
- 12:00 p.m. Beef Brisket judging
- 1:00 p.m. Chicken judging
- 2:00 p.m. Ribs judging
- At 4:30 p.m. the awards ceremony will commence. Pacific Northwest BBQ Association (P.N.W.B.A) judges will score all entries with 25 per cent weighted on appearance, 25 per cent weighted on texture/tenderness and 50 per cent assigned to taste.
9 p.m. Darren Lee and the Memphis Flash – A Tribute to Elvis will take the stage at Dusty’s. Tickets are $10 at the door.
For more information the Bull’s-Eye Canadian National BBQ Championships please visit Whistler Blackcomb’s event page.