The Countdown Is On To Whistler’s ArtWalk
Whistler Arts Council, in partnership with TD Canada Trust and Whistler Real Estate Company, proudly present the ninth annual ArtWalk – a free month-long walking tour held from July 1 to August 31, 2012.
ArtWalk is an annual arts celebration featuring over 50 Sea-to-Sky artists in 50 host venues throughout Whistler. The 2012 ArtWalk will kick off with an opening reception on Thursday, July 5, followed by a Celebration of Arts weekend and the annual Function Junction Block pARTy on Thursday, July 26, 2012.
Every year art-lovers, families, residents, and visitors look forward to the largest fine art festival in Whistler. Finally, the countdown is on to the FREE open-air event that annually draws over 17,000 people who enjoy the sights and sounds of the visual and performing art showcased in over 50 galleries, restaurants, hotels and shops.
In its ninth year, the highly anticipated event is better than ever with more artists, venues, lively entertainers, live paintings, one-of-a-kind children’s activities and an abundance of food and drink! This well respected event has even more to offer this year to accommodate all ages, cultures and art enthusiasts.
The opening reception is scheduled for Thursday, July 5 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. starting at Whistler Marketplace. Art walkers are encouraged to move from venue to venue by following the Little Red Flag displayed on participating venue’s store front or partake in a free guided tour hosted by the Ladies in Red.
- Live musical entertainment scattered throughout the village featuring diverse musicians such as: soulful artist Dr. Dave, upbeat duo Big Mountain Rhythm and local Duo artists Jon Burr and Kris Branch as well as a performance by the Riosamawa Band
- Live paintings will be created throughout the evening by talented local artists, including: Kris Kupskay, Lauren Ritz and Lani Imre as well as a fibre Art demonstration by Karen Yaremkewich
- Pottery wheel demonstration and wood carving will take place with artists Kathleen Tennock and Wade Baker throughout the weekend
- Children’s activities including Face Painting with Nina Moore and Balloon Twisting with Pumped Designs
- Catered food and drink!
With increased performers, activities and attractions, the Whistler Arts Council has scheduled events for the Celebration of Arts weekend starting on Friday, July 6 to Sunday, July 8 throughout the day in the village and at the Whistler Skate Park.
- Live painting extravaganza – 3rd annual Paint Off – will take place in the village on July 6 and 7, 2012. Eight artists will compete for a cash first prize for their original pieces created on-site
- Paint and Shoot Skate Jam, at the Whistler Skate Park is the inaugural competition composed of five teams each including; a graffiti artist, skater and photographer who aim to capture the most unique photo made up of all three team members’ work (graffiti art and best skate tricks)
- Open Houses at the Westin on Friday, July 6 from 5pm – 6:30pm and at Gallery Row located in the Hilton on Saturday, July 7 from 5pm – 6:30pm
- Roving characters will interact with kids and adults alike
- Dr. Sketchy, a live figure drawing evening with a nude model at Millennium Place on Sunday, July 8 at 7pm.
After the overwhelming success of last year’s event, the Function Block pARTy returns on Thursday, July 26 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The Block pARTy focuses on galleries and businesses that showcase local artwork in Whistler’s industrial area. Local artisans, food vendors, face painting, balloon twisting, games, three live bands including Jon Burr and Ivan the Terrible, Rapido and Where’s Taran, a pie eating contest and more, bring Function Junction to life! Take out the kids, the dog and your neighbours to dance in the streets!